Our goal at Legler Orthodontics is to conduct your orthodontic treatment in a comfortable and efficient manner so that we can complete your treatment on time. Dr. Legler’s 26 years of experience in the orthodontic profession and board certification ensures that you will get the very best treatment for you or your child.
Video Showing What It's Like to Get Braces at Legler Ortho
Making Your Treatment a Success
Orthodontic treatment is a team effort, whether the patient is a child, teen, or adult. The four key factors involved in treatment success include:
- Good oral hygiene so gum tissue stays healthy and teeth do not develop decalcified areas or “white spots”
- Cooperation with wearing elastics, Invisalign® aligners, or appliances such as retainers as prescribed by Dr. Legler or Dr. Gutierrez
- Avoidance of eating or chewing on hard or sticky foods or objects that will dislodge the braces
- Making it to your scheduled appointments so that your braces can be activated or adjusted
Eating with Braces
You may be surprised to learn that you’ll be able to eat most of your favorite foods while you have braces. Just use common sense and follow our guidelines for the few types of food you’ll need to avoid.
The main foods that should be avoided with braces include:
- Candy, especially hard and sticky treats like Twizzlers, taffy, gumballs, and Jolly Ranchers
- Popcorn, as the hulls can wedge between the bracket and gum tissue, causing infections
- Biting into meat on the bone or apples, as they should both be cut into bite-size pieces
- Corn, which should be cut off the cob
Home Hygiene with Braces
When your braces are placed, a member of our team will demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques and provide you with a home-care oral hygiene kit. Technique is important in order to get the brush bristles under the wire and between the braces and gum tissue. If this does not happen on a regular basis, the gingival tissue will become swollen and bleed. Flossing with braces will help maintain the health and normal contours of the gingival tissue.
Dr. Legler, Dr. Gutierrez and our team recommend brushing three times a day, flossing or using a Waterpik® once per day before brushing, and using fluoride mouthwash once a day after brushing. If you prefer using an electric toothbrush, we recommend Sonicare, as it works well to clean the cracks and crevices around braces.
Making Braces Comfortable
If you experience soreness during your orthodontic treatment, take Tylenol or Ibuprofen as directed on the bottle. Eat soft foods that are easier to chew, such as pasta and mac and cheese. Usually, any discomfort diminishes within two to three days, but if not, call our office and let us know.
If wire breakage occurs, we recommend that you snip the wire with nail clippers or a wire cutter. Any brackets or wires that come off need to be replaced in our Vero Beach, Fort Pierce, or Port St. Lucie, FL office. Cover any areas that are rough or sharp with the soft wax from your home-care kit.
At Legler Orthodontics, we strive to make your experience with braces as pleasant as possible. From the office décor to the cheerful and caring staff to the treatment and quality of the braces Dr. Legler and Dr. Gutierrez provide, we want you to receive the best value and quality orthodontic treatment available anywhere.